- The P1 program Kaliber can today reveal that a man who committed a sexual crime against two small children then had to start as a coach at IFK Gothenburg’s youth academy.
- Through his assignment in the club, the man met two boys whom he was later convicted of sexual offenses against.
- “We have made mistakes here, in this case and perhaps in other cases as well,” says Roger Gustavsson, at IFK Gothenburg’s youth academy.
A man who committed a sexual crime against two small children was allowed to start training children in the all-Swedish IFK Gothenburg youth academy and was able to commit new sexual crimes against children. It reveals the P1 program Caliber today.
IFK Gothenburg did not check the man’s load register when he started as a coach but only later and therefore missed because he had previously been convicted.
– I can say that we have unfortunately missed this and if we had discovered it, the coach in question would not have been our youth coach. So that we can only apologize and apologize that we have not managed to find out about this, says Roger Gustavsson, head of education at IFK Gothenburg’s youth academy.
When the man started as a coach of the club, he was previously convicted of sexual harassment against two young children. IFK Gothenburg says that they started checking load registers for coaches early on, but Caliber’s review shows that they did not check this coach’s register until after several years. After a while, crimes are removed from the criminal record, it is called that they are thinned, and when IFK once checked the man’s register, the old sentence was thinned.
Through his assignment as coach of the club, the man meets two boys whom he was later convicted of sexual offenses against.
– It is their lack of responsibility, of course. It is their responsibility to stop this in advance as well, says Erik, one of the children, whose real name is something else.
It was a dream for Erik to start training with IFK and this particular coach Erik had great confidence in.
– He was a very nice and very good coach. Because you noticed how you developed with him, says Erik.
After the man left club and moved on to new coaching assignments and jobs in schools in another municipality, he was reported last year for raping a child in the new town. The police then also found films at the man’s home. On Erik and another boy he met through the assignment in IFK Gothenburg. He had filmed Erik without clothes in a locker room and he had massaged and filmed the other boy.
– Yes, it came as a complete shock, says Erik.
The man was convicted child pornography offenses and abusive photography for what he did to Erik and among other things for sexual abuse and rape against the other two children. The man admits certain circumstances but denies the crime. He does not want to comment on the information that emerges in Caliber’s review.
Since 2020, following a decision by the Swedish Sports Confederation, it has been a requirement for associations to check register extracts for adults who work with children. Roger Gustavsson, at IFK Gothenburg’s youth academy, says that today they can see register extracts faster, but that it took several years before they got to see the former coach’s extracts.
How do you look at it? You could have actually stopped him.
– Now that you say that and have said this, I do not feel well. We have made mistakes here, in this case and maybe in other cases as well, but I feel that this was not done well by us, says Roger Gustavsson.